Serving in a not-for-profit organization, whether it is a nonprofit organization or a charity, is a rewarding experience. A board member plays a significant role in the success of the organization and takes on a great responsibility.
Whether you are thinking of becoming one or is currently serving on a board, the following reflections will help you strengthen your role as a board member. Volunteer MBC, through our Board Governance Series, aims to guide you through these reflections.
The significance of a Board
1. What is the importance of a board to a not-for-profit organization?
Structure & Roles
2. How are not-for-profit boards structured? The types of boards, their functioning, and forming committees.
3. What are the roles and responsibilities of a board member and board driven committees?
a. Who plays what role?
b. How do you manage the relationships between peers, organizational head, and staff?
c. How can a board support the volunteer involvement at not-for-profit organizations? (adopting the CCVI, promoting opportunities, recognition).
4. How do you identify and attract a diverse group of board of directors who is a good fit for the organization?
a. What information should you provide upfront?
b. What strengths and skills should you have as a board member?
c. How does diversity positively impact board governance?
d. When do you turn the wheels in motion for board succession planning?
5. What would be telltale signs of an effective not-for-profit board?
Establishing a Board
6. What are the guiding principles of a not-for-profit board? (Vision, mission, mandate, values, and strategic priorities).
7. What are the policies and legal obligations of a not-for-profit board? (Legal and regulatory considerations, by-laws, contracts, policies).
8. What part does a board play in Risk Management of a not-for-profit organization?
9. How do we strategize the organizations’ way forward?
10. What questions should you ask before approving a budget?
11. How do you plan and support a diversified fund development strategy?
12. How do you make an emotional connection with the community? (storytelling, measuring the impact of programs and services).
13. How do you plan a successful Annual General Meeting? (why, how, what, and when?)
14. How do you carry out a productive board meeting? (respecting the professional life and time of board members, finalizing an agenda, planning and scheduling, running a meeting).
15. How do you build a strong team?
a. How do you effectively manage the board dynamics?
b. What are the immediate steps and tactics of conflict resolution?