Are you new to a Board? A seasoned expert with years of experience to share? Then this course is just for you!
This course is designed to facilitate engagement at your own pace. There are 7 mini-chapters and a graded quiz which will remain open until the end of your course enrolment period. The graded quiz will open once you have visited all 7 chapters. Some chapters include audio and some chapters are designed without it. The tool used to develop this eLearning module is screen reader friendly. You will receive a "Certificate of Completion" when you successfully complete the quiz.
- Describe the significance of board governance to a not-for-profit organization by listing at least three key points related to due diligence, capacity building, organizational accountability, and sustainability,
- Effectively contribute towards the sustainability of the organization by understanding your role and responsibilities as a board member and, by advocating for the organization,
- Apply the guiding principles, policies, by-laws, risk management, and legal obligations to establish a strong foundation for an effective and efficient board.
- Provide direction to a not-for-profit organization by supporting strategic planning, transparent and effective financial management, and measuring and reporting community impact,
- Support good board dynamics by following efficient and effective communication guidelines, meetings management, team dynamics, and harmonious board engagement
Who is this Course For?
- New and Current Board Members
- Those who are thinking of becoming Board Members
- Executive Directors/Heads of Not-for-profit Organizations
- Leaders of Volunteers responsible for Board Member recruitment
Members = CAD 55.00
Non-Members = CAD 75.00
On-Going Registrations Now Open!
180 Days access from date of payment.
Any time access.
A mix of Audio, video, images, and text.
Subject Matter Expert
Kathleen is a long time facilitator of Volunteer MBC's Board Governance series. Her subject matter expertise has been invaluable to the creation of this Board Essentials module.
Kathleen has over 25 years of international experience working both in both the field and leadership levels with formal education in the not‐for‐profit sector.
Previously she was the Manager, Volunteer/Community Services with Workplace Safety and Prevention Services (WSPS), where she provided leadership to a provincial team who delivered educational health and safety programmes to Ontarians. She was also one of the architects of Humber College’s Advanced Program in Volunteer Studies and presented sessions on the Governance and Writing Policies modules along with portions of the Fundamentals program for 10 years.She holds an MBA, Strategic Leadership Certificate, Voluntary Sector and Arts Diploma and Fundamentals of Volunteer Management. She is Past President on the PAVRO (Professional Administrators of Volunteer Leaders ‐ Ontario) Board of Directors and currently serves as a District Parliamentarian for Zonta International – a service organization which promotes the status of women in both local and global communities.
Shaminda Perera, MEAE
Instructional Systems Designer
With over 15 years of experience in all aspects of adult learning, he is a Learning and Development Strategist. Shaminda is involved in the not-for-profit sector since 2011. He is currently the Manager of Learning & Resource Development for Volunteer MBC, heading three major portfolios; the Volunteer MBC Learning Centre, the Volunteer Referral Service, and technology integration. Shaminda is the designer, developer and administrator, of Volunteer MBC’s Learning Management System - www.Vetch.ca.
Shaminda holds the Master of Education in Adult Education (MEAE) degree from Yorkville University, New Brunswick. His Masters Thesis focused on building Learning Organizations in the not-for-profit sector. He is a proud member of the Mississauga Cooksville Lions Club.
Fees and Registration
Members = $55.00 | Non-members = $75.00Click Here to Register